The Pasadena Festival of Women Authors (PFWA) founders, Susan Long and Elsie Sadler, felt that book lovers in Pasadena would embrace the experience of a literary event and would make donations to support the community. In 2009, they launched the first PFWA at the Pasadena Senior Center where it was hosted for 7 years.
To recognize the accomplishments of authors, to advance community dialog about the literary arts and to raise money for literary programs at community non-profits.
Non-profit status and growth
In 2016 PFWA Committee established the Pasadena Literary Alliance (PLA) and moved the popular PFWA event to the Pasadena Hilton Hotel to accommodate a larger audience. The PLA is a 501(c)(3) organization, Tax ID: 47-2569785. The Pasadena Literary Alliance Board members are:
- Katie Poole, President
- Kathryn Kay
- Norah Morley
- Colleen Murray
- Carolyn Siegal
- Heidi Simpson-Sandoval
- Shelley Thompson
- Amy Ulmer
- Emily Vitan
- Liz White
In 2017 the PLA board formed the Open Book Committee to host year round author events starting in 2018.
In 2018 the following organizations received grants from the proceeds of the PFWA:
- Pasadena City College: Writers in Residence & Summer Creative Writing Academy
- Pasadena Senior Center: The Lifetime Learning Masters in Learning Series
- Pasadena Public Library: One City, One Story Program
- PEN America: Emerging Voices Fellowship Stipend
- WriteGirl: High School Student Writing Seminars